My East European Discrimination Case Against Citi
The website www.BulgariansAtTheGate.co.uk is dedicated to my discrimination case against Citigroup. It includes relevant and up-to-date documents and information about the case. I hope that the web site will:
- Facilitate a truly public and transparent discrimination trial.
- Become a useful reference tool to everyone who is following the case and to other Litigants in Person.
- Provide useful information to and empower other East Europeans, who are suffering discrimination and hate crimes, to defend their rights in the UK courts of law.
Update (26 April 2018): My onward appeal to the EAT has been submitted and awaits judicial decision. In the meantime, the cover up of the internal investigation is still waiting to be decided by the Court of Appeal
My name is Georgi Mechkarov
I was employed by Citi between 2006 and 2013 in their Corporate and Investment Banking division and held various positions in their office in Bulgaria before moving to London in 2010, where I was most recently a Vice President in the EMEA Transaction Execution Group. During all my time with Citigroup, I was consistently ranked as a top performer.
Following my move to London in July, 2010, I suffered a brutal multi-year discriminatory harassment and discrimination campaign on the basis of my Eastern European origin orchestrated by managers. A detailed account of the events is outlined in my Witness Statement.
In November and December 2014, I raised a formal complaint with Citi, complaining about the conduct of my managers and had a meeting with the Internal Investigation department of Citi. Following my complaints, Citi issued an internal written warning in the form of an e-mail advising my colleagues not to communicate with me and also installed a firewall blocking my e-mails to everyone in Citigroup globally.
- In January 2015, I started legal proceedings against Citi which have been running ever since. A brief summary of the proceedings so far and links to the relevant documents are listed below.
- My pre-termination discrimination claims were not allowed to full trial at a preliminary hearing on 6 July 2015 and I did not receive permission to appeal by EAT (9 February 2016), Court of Appeal (7 December 2016) and the Supreme Court (2 February 2017).
- The post employment discrimination claims were also not allowed to full trial initially, however, on 11 May 2016 Mr Justice Mitting sitting at the EAT allowed my appeal and remitted them back to be heard by the Employment Tribunal. My appeal against the judgement of the Employment Tribunal has been submitted on 26 April 2018. For details, please go to the Discrimination Case section of the web site.
- In the meantime,Citibank has refused to make disclosure of their internal investigation following my complaints which has been almost completely covered up. Details can be found on the Cover Up section of the web site.
- Documents relevant to the trial, including my Witness Statement, can be viewed on the Trial page of the website.